Saturday, September 1, 2012

Chocolate-Bacon-Beer Muffins

Yep, you read that right. I can't take credit for this recipe in any way, but I loved it so much that I have to share the experience.

The original recipe can be found here: http://thebeeroness.com/2012/01/24/chocolate-bacon-porter-muffins/ . The only thing I changed was that I used a bock beer instead of a smoked porter, on recommendation of the beer expert at my local grocery store. I couldn't find a smoked beer anywhere in early August, so he recommended this as a comparable beer:

Bonus: I got to drink the leftovers.
I used a good thick-cut smoked bacon to and a little extra smoked paprika to add the smoked flavor that was missing from the beer. My whole apartment smelled amazing while these were baking. I doubled the recipe and yielded 16 delicious muffins. I thought these muffins still hot from the oven could possibly be the most delicious thing I've ever created.


 My boyfriend, however, thought they were "gross." I was shocked. These muffins should be the key to any man's heart. I mean chocolate, bacon, and beer? Come on. How could this be anything but delicious?

After much discussion and taste-testing by other friends, we came to some conclusions about this recipe:

1. It needs more bacon. Not just sprinkled on top, but mixed throughout the batter.
2. If you like dark chocolate, you will love this recipe. If you are more of a milk chocolate fan, you will hate it.
3. I have to learn how to make chocolate-covered bacon.

I will definitely be making this recipe again, only next time I won't double it (since apparently I'm the only one in my home who will eat it) and will add more bacon. I'm looking forward to finding a smoky porter this fall and trying it again.

References:
http://thebeeroness.com/2012/01/24/chocolate-bacon-porter-muffins/

2 comments:

  1. These were so yummy, but I'd agree with the more bacon assessment, because everything can use more of it :)

    And you don't know how to make chocolate-covered bacon? Just bake it in the oven, drain it, then dip it in chocolate. It's extra yummy if you sprinkle a little cayenne pepper and brown sugar on the bacon when you bake it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I figured it would be that easy, I just never tried it! I will have to try it soon. Sounds like a good post-race treat :)

    ReplyDelete