Sunday, September 2, 2012

Blueberry crepes

As you may have noticed, this year I am spending my Labor Day weekend in the kitchen! I have four days in a row off and it has been so relaxing. The only problem is that I keep creating dirty dishes.

I woke up this morning and immediately thought of the fresh blueberries I bought yesterday. My first instinct was to make blueberry pancakes, but I knew pancakes would result in a carb coma that could lead to a very lazy day. Crepes seemed to be the answer.


Ingredients: 

Filling:
1 pint blueberries
2 t sugar
3-4 T water

Crepes:
2 eggs
6 T all-purpose flour
2 t sugar
1/4 t cinnamon
1/4 t salt
2/3 cup milk or almond milk
2 t coconut oil*

Topping:
1 pint heavy cream
2 t sugar

*Some other sort of oil would probably be OK, but I've always used coconut oil for my crepes for some odd reason.

Combine blueberries, sugar, and a small amount of water (3-4 tablespoons) in a saucepan on low to medium heat. Cover and cook until desired sauce-like consistency (about 5-10 minutes) stirring often. A small amount of corn starch could probably help thicken the berries, but I didn't have any. Leave on low heat and stir occasionally while cooking crepes. Leaving the lid off at this point will also help the sauce thicken as water evaporates.


Make whipped cream before starting the crepes. In mixing bowl, beat heavy cream on high setting until it forms peaks and is whipped-cream consistency. Be careful not to over-beat the cream or you will get butter! Add sugar and mix minimally. Taste the whipped cream to test the flavor; you might like more sugar than I do. Set aside.

Homemade whipped cream is soooo good, and you avoid all those weird chemicals! 
Combine all crepe ingredients in a blender and mix well. Heat a medium-sized frying pan to medium/medium-high heat (on my electric stove, the line between medium and medium-high is the perfect setting for crepes). Allow the pan to heat well before adding batter. Spray a small amount of non-stick spray before each crepe to help with clean and easy flipping.

Add a thin layer of batter to fill the pan, using a large spoon to spread the batter and even out the crepe. Allow to cook until there is no more liquid batter visible.


Use a rubber spatula (not a stiff one that you would use to flip pancakes) to loosen the edges, working the spatula under half of the crepe and flipping quickly. Don't feel bad if your first crepe doesn't flip properly; I ruined a few crepes the first time I made them before I got the technique down.

A perfect flip!
Spoon a line of blueberry filling into the center of the crepe. I strained out some of the liquid because my sauce was a little thin. Use the spatula to fold the crepe in thirds over the berries.


I always find the trickiest part is getting the crepe out of the pan without destroying it. Hold the pan at an angle over a plate, work the spatula under the front edge of the crepe, and slide it onto the plate, using your spatula as a guide.

This recipe makes four crepes. If you have extra batter, cook the crepes without filling and layer with parchment paper in between. Wrap in tin foil to keep from drying out. I'm not sure how long they will last in the refrigerator; mine will certainly not last more than 24 hours because someone will eat them.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment