Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Vegetarian Mushroom Soup

Today is day one of my vegetarian experiment. I had an adventurous day of grocery shopping, tracking down certain rare ingredients across the east side of Cleveland. It turned out that Whole Foods was the only place I could find things like amino acid supplements, vegan cheese, tahini, and a colorful variety of lentils. When I got home, I adapted the following recipe from the Hungarian Mushroom Soup in one of my favorite cookbooks since childhood, The Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen. The soup took about an hour from start to finish and makes 3 pints of soup.


Ingredients:


2 T butter
1 T olive oil
1/2 T minced garlic
1 white onion, diced
1 1/2 to 2 lbs baby portabella mushrooms, sliced thin
1 t salt
3 t dried dill
1 T paprika
2 t lemon juice
1 cup dry white wine
3 T flour
2 cups water
1 cup milk (at room temperature)
black pepper
1 t Bragg's liquid aminos
1/2 cup sour cream
1 T parsley


Melt butter with olive oil in dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté for a minute or two. Add onion and sauté on medium-high heat for a few minutes (about the time it takes to wash and slice the mushrooms). Add mushrooms, salt, dill, and paprika, and mix well. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook for 15 minutes, stirring often.


Turn heat back to medium-high, and add lemon juice and wine. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often. Add flour in very small amounts, stirring well to avoid lumps. When all flour is mixed in, add water. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and cook for 10 more minutes, stirring often.


Stir in milk. Add Bragg's liquid aminos, a vegetarian supplement that tastes similar to soy sauce and adds necessary amino acids that may be lacking in a vegetarian diet. Add sour cream, stirring in vigorously with a wire whisk until no lumps of sour cream are visible. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add parsley last, and remove from heat. If desired, you can save the parsley until just before serving and add on top of each bowl of soup for a nicer presentation.



**If you would like to can your soup: Sterilize jars and lids in boiling water. At end of cooking, heat soup until just starting to bubble. Turn off stove and immediately ladle soup into jars, filling to brim. Wipe tops of jars clean before tightly sealing the lids. The canning process must go very quickly; if soup is allowed to cool, the jars will not seal and will not be safe to store at room temperature.


After about an hour, you should hear a “pop” as the button on the lid pops down. This indicates the jar is now sealed and safe to store in the cupboard. If the button on the lid remains raised after 1.5 to 2 hours, this jar is not going to seal. Refrigerate any unsealed jars and eat within 24 to 48 hours.

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, I wish I liked mushrooms because everything else about this soup sounds so yummy! It's mostly the texture that bugs me - wonder if this would work if I pureed them? (Of course, I promised Bob yesterday that no matter how far I get into healthy eating, I'll never make him eat mushrooms... so let's find a way to hide them! :-P)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I was thinking pureeing this soup would be a great option if you want to feed it to kids or picky eaters. For me it was actually the onions, more than the mushrooms, that stood out, and I know that would deter a lot of people (including James). I also think it would make an excellent sauce for chicken breasts when I'm allowed to eat them again!

    ReplyDelete