Sunday, February 19, 2012

Pigs in Blankets

Lent is approaching, and this year I decided to give up meat for Lent. We have a bet going - if I can make it through Lent with no meat, James owes me $100. If I don't make it, I owe him a steak dinner from a nice restaurant, and at that meal I will not be allowed to eat meat. I'm really looking forward to the challenge of finding healthy, meatless recipes!


With only a few days of meat-eating left, I am trying to use up foods that will tempt me to stray. A package of amish chicken sausage that was in the freezer was definitely something that had to go - I LOVE this stuff. At 30 calories per flavorful link, it allows me to pig out at breakfast without killing my diet. I used the whole package today (12 links) on this recipe.


Ingredients:


8-12 sausage links
1 package Pillsbury Grands biscuits
A few slices of cheese, cut into pieces slightly smaller than the sausage
1 egg white
Salt and pepper


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Separate the biscuit dough into the individual biscuits, and cut biscuits in half until you have as many halves as you do pieces of sausage (you may have some biscuits left over; I just baked the extras on their own). Smash a half a biscuit in your hands, flattening and stretching until you have something resembling a rectangle about the size of your palm. Place one sausage and one piece of cheese in the middle of the dough, stretching the dough so that the ends overlap enough that you can press the edges together. Place seam-side down on the baking tray.


Continue until all sausage/biscuits are used up. I was able to easily fit 12 on my large cooking tray. Beat one egg white with a few tablespoons of water until foamy. Brush the egg wash on the tops of the dough. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.


The result was enough to feed two people for breakfast, but if you make other food I'm sure you could stretch it to feed more people.

1 comment:

  1. Aww, I remember pigs in a blanket from when we lived together! The chicken sausage makes them all growds up, just like us!

    ReplyDelete