Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Cheddar & Garlic Biscuits

A few weeks ago, I took a break from creativity for the night and made some very cheesy cheddar biscuits out of a box. I ate one biscuit with my dinner, and left them sitting out on the counter when I went to bed that night. When I woke, the biscuits were gone... and my boyfriend had all sorts of creative excuses for how they disappeared, finally admitting that they were so good that he couldn't help but eat them all.

Unfortunately, that yummy biscuit mix was kind of expensive, so I set out to find a recipe so I could make them from scratch. After much research, I finally settled on this recipe that I found on Pinterest. James agrees they taste just as delicious as the ones that came from a box, and they barely cost me anything to make.


This recipe is definitely a keeper. I plan on freezing half of it to ensure there are some left when I wake up tomorrow.

Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 T baking powder
1/4 t garlic powder
1/2 t salt
5 T butter, cold
1 cup buttermilk*
1 1/4 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese (or more, if you like!)

*The original recipe advises that if you don't have buttermilk, mix one cup milk with 1 1/2 teaspoons vinegar and let sit for ten minutes before using. I did this, and my biscuits turned out fine.

Butter topping:
2 T butter, melted
1/4 t dried parsley
3/4 t garlic powder
Dash of salt

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Mix dry ingredients (first 4 ingredients) well in a large bowl. Add cold butter and cut into dry ingredients until mixture is crumbly and no large chunks of butter are visible.


Mix in grated cheese. Add buttermilk and stir minimally; over-mixing will effect the final texture of the biscuits. Using your hands and a soup spoon, drop golf-ball sized chunks of dough onto a non-stick baking sheet, again handling the dough minimally.


Bake biscuits at 425 degrees for 10-12 minutes. While the biscuits are baking, mix the butter topping so it is ready when the biscuits come out of the oven. Remove biscuits from tray to a cooling rack and immediately brush with melted butter and spice mixture. These biscuits taste great still warm from the oven. Makes 18 biscuits.


No comments:

Post a Comment