Monday, May 28, 2012

Berry and Cream Crepes

Today I felt like being creative in the kitchen, but it was HOT in Cleveland - 93 degrees last time I checked. With an abundance of frozen fruit in my freezer (usually destined for smoothies), I decided crepes would involve the least amount of time standing over a stove.


I encountered a few problems immediately - I only had two eggs left, I was out of milk, and getting more of either involved going out into that ungodly heat. After some research and substitutions, I came up with the recipe below, which worked surprisingly well. I will not post my disastrous attempt at strawberry filling; instead, I merely suggest you use fresh strawberries to fill this crepe and top with either whipped cream or the mascarpone topping listed below.


Crepe soup, anyone?
Ingredients:


2 eggs
6 T all-purpose flour
2 t sugar
1/4 t cinnamon
1/4 t salt
2/3 cup milk (I substituted vanilla almond milk)
2 t coconut oil


Mix the above ingredients together in a blender; blend until smooth.


Topping:


1 12-oz container mascarpone cheese
1 1/2 T honey


Mix mascarpone and honey together in a bowl until smooth.


Heat a medium-sized nonstick frying pan on a little higher than medium heat. The heat level will vary by stove, so use your judgement. Be patient and let your pan get hot before you start.


Most recipes say to use a small amount of butter to grease the pan, but I found this made my crepe too flimsy, greasy, and very difficult to flip. On my second crepe, I used a dry pan, and it worked far better.


Pour enough batter into the pan to almost fill the pan with a very thin layer. Working quickly, use a tablespoon to spread batter throughout the pan and to thin out thick spots.



When crepe is almost cooked through, work a large spatula carefully under the edges and flip quickly. This may take a few tries to get the technique down; don't be discouraged if your first one falls apart or end up hanging halfway out of the pan (yep, I did that).

Yeah! A successful flip!
Spoon some berries into a line in the center and use the spatula to fold over the sides so that it looks like a burrito. Some people prefer to just fold in half, but I found it is easier to get the crepe out of the pan if it is folded in thirds. Don't overfill the crepe, or this will happen when you try to fold it:

I still can't believe I actually got this out of the pan without making a mess
My advice on successfully removing a crepe from the frying pan is this: pick up the frying pan and hold it over a plate. Tilt the frying pan and use the spatula to guide the crepe onto the plate. This works far better than trying to lift the whole crepe with a spatula and move it to the plate without falling apart.

The only one that made it to the plate intact
Top with a few dollops of the mascarpone topping. I tried putting the mascarpone on the inside, but it melted quickly, creating the soupy mess that you see above. Makes 2-4 crepes, depending on how large you make them and how many you accidentally destroy.

References:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Banana-Orange-Crepes-109044

No comments:

Post a Comment