Sunday, January 22, 2012

Review: Flour Restaurant in Moreland Hills, Ohio

Last night I decided to start including restaurant reviews in this blog, as Feeding My Inner Fat Kid often involves exploring the vast array of restaurants in the Cleveland area. First on the list: Flour Restaurant in Moreland Hills, Ohio.

Flour Restaurant
34205 Chagrin Boulevard
Moreland Hills, OH 44022
216-464-3700

The first think a person notices upon arrival at Flour are the expensive cars in the parking lot - this restaurant is frequented by people with expensive taste. Audi, Mercedes, BMW, Lincoln MKZ - we were already impressed before we entered the building.

The interior decor was very simple and industrial, with polished concrete floors, chain mail curtains and lots of space between table. The hosts were very friendly, and we were seated immediately (*note: we did have reservations, which were very easily made online). Service was prompt and polite throughout the meal, but some of the wait staff sounded as if they were forcing rehearsed lines rather than having a conversation.

Now for the best part - the FOOD. Chefs Paul Minillo and Chris DiLisi formerly headed the Baricelli Inn, a high-class and high-priced restaurant in Cleveland's Little Italy that closed last winter do to waning interest in this tough economy. Having read and heard so much about the Baricelli and their plans for this new restaurant, I had been looking forward to this food since Flour opened in April 2011.

For an appetizer, James and I shared the veal meatballs and roasted pork belly skewer, served with peperonato (similar to capers) and pesto and topped with arugula and pickled turnip slices. My meat-loving taste buds were in heaven, despite James reminding my bleeding heart that I was eating baby cow. The meat melts in your mouth and goes well with the accompanying vegetables.

Luckily the waitress brought out our main courses quickly, because after the small but tasty appetizer, my stomach was yearning for more amazing food. James ordered seared salmon served on carrot puree, with braised leeks, truffle salsa and wild mushrooms on the side. I absolutely love mushrooms, and after tasting this it was very difficult not to steal the rest of them off his plate. The salmon was perfectly cooked (from personal experience, I know it's easy to over cook!) and went well with the sides.

James' salmon was fine, but at an Italian restaurant I always feel like I just have to order pasta. I was not disappointed. My entree was gnudi, which is similar to gnocchi but more of a perfect cylindrical shape. The gnudi was mixed with pancetta, lion mane mushrooms, chopped chives, brussel leaves, and a light parmesan sauce ("grana brodo"). The dish was delicious, and I caught myself trying to piece out the individual flavors so I could try to make it at home. I was especially impressed that the brussel leaves were not bitter at all, as brussel sprouts tend to taste bitter at most family holidays.

The pasta went well with a dry white wine the waitress recommended: Batasiolo Gavi (2009). I must admit, I had never heard of most of the wine on the menu, so I appreciated the recommendation and found the wine so good that I had to be careful not to drink it all before my food arrived. James was happy to see the restaurant had a selection of Ohio beers on tap, and he enjoyed a peanut butter cup porter from Willoughby Brewing company.

At this point, we were both pleasantly full. As I was telling the waitress I probably didn't want dessert, James and I simultaneously burst into "Ooooo!" as we saw the two words neither of us can resist on a dessert menu - "cannoli" for him, "tiramisu" for me.

Dessert and a strong Italian coffee were served quickly. James' two cannoli were presented dusted with powdered sugar and pistachios. He said the cannoli were the best he ever tasted ("better than Heinen's"), but I don't like ricotta cheese and felt like the ricotta flavor and texture were too strong. My first cannoli was at Presti's Bakery in Cleveland's Little Italy, and so far no one has beat it.

I couldn't pass up the limoncello tiramisu. A fun take on the traditional dessert, this was a yellow cake soaked in limoncello with a light, creamy lemon frosting between the layers. I loved it. Next time though, I will be trying the molten nutella cake, which also sounded incredible and is said to be one of their specialties.

The restaurant is also known for their gourmet pizzas that cook in just 90 seconds in the restaurant's wood-fired oven, but I couldn't bring myself to order pizza at a nice restaurant like this. I will definitely be picking up a gourmet pizza for takeout someday soon for lunch. Overall, we both very much enjoyed our dinner at Flour and will definitely be going there again.

4 comments:

  1. Veal meatballs? Limoncello tiramisu? YUM! I love a good wood-fired pizza too. It's amazing that they can cook something so good so fast.

    Will you perhaps be reviewing restaurants as you travel outside of Cleveland too? Your inner fat kid does need to eat on the road. If so, we're headed to what sounds like an awesome steak and martini place when you're here in a couple of weeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne - I definitely plan on reviewing restaurants when I travel too! You'll have to help me remember to take notes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I will... at least until the martinis come ;) I can help you with pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I need to remember to take pictures next time. I didn't think of doing the review until partway through our dinner.

    ReplyDelete